Monday, April 15, 2013

A633.3.3.RB - Complex Adaptive Systems


When I first read about Morning Star I was very impressed and a little jealous to see how well this company seemed to do without “managers”.  Of course as a manager my first thought was “well there goes my job” but as I read deeper into the article I see how complex and dynamic this company really is.  Everyone is held accountable here not just management.  Most organizations including the one I work for have management and directors to look up to lead and direct and let’s face it be the “fall guy” if needed.  Someone has to be to blame when something goes wrong don’t they?
The approach that Morning Star uses is that everyone is empowered they are not employees they are colleagues.  Everyone has a say in pretty much every aspect of the company from writing their version of a mission statement to ordering supplies to helping with the hiring process.  When everyone feels that they have input into the company people may take more initiative and take more personal pride in their job.
 I read this article a couple of times and tried to put my organization in place of Morning Star to see how it would fare.  First so many of us are used to being lead so I think that would be a big adjustment and I believe that many people would quit because of this.  Change is not something most people can deal with and I was surprised by the number of people who quit when Campus Solutions was brought on board.  If our organization ran closer to this model I believe we would see more loyalty, more innovation and more accountability.  It would be our company not just some place we work for.  People would take more pride in their work. 
I do believe that there are many people to whom this is just a job, it is somewhere to go and collect a check at the end of the day.  The biggest challenge would be to get out of the mindset that we all are used to.  Within my department we are a team yes and there is a director and managers but input is gathered from everyone and everyone’s thoughts and ideas are heard.  Because of the complexity of our organization I don’t think that we could go all the way and adapt Morning Star’s concepts however we can definitely implement some of these things to improve the company. 
I think it would a good start to have everyone write down a personal mission to see where we are as an organization as a whole.  What do we stand for?  Do we want the same things for our company?  It may be very surprising to see the results of this but it would give the upper management an idea of where we need to go in the future.    Encourage stronger skills and creativity among everyone not just management.  These seem simple but I think they are a good way to get everyone to think outside the box.  We have to look to the future and take it to the next level without fear of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment