Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A520.1.2RB_GarciaAnna

Self-Awareness

What do you notice in your results? 
The self-awareness surveys were interesting to say the least.  I tried to do my best to answer each question honestly and the results were actually spot on in some areas and surprising in other areas.  I didn’t score in the bottom in any areas which I knew I wouldn’t and in one area I scored in the top which I knew I would.  When trying to answer the questions honestly, I wanted to think of how I felt at this moment and not how I think I may feel later in the course or how I think I should feel.

How much of this rang true for you? What did you see that you were expecting in the results?
Some assessments really hit home for me.  For example, the emotional intelligence assessment is the one area that I scored in the top quartile.  I feel that from my last course on critical thinking my emotional intelligence has grown in many ways.  Self-awareness is something I will continue to work on each and every day long term.  I don’t believe that we suddenly wake up one day and are completely self-aware of who we are and how we interact with those around us.  I didn’t score in the bottom or in the top in this area and I believe that I can work toward better self-awareness if I focus on this and make an effort to improve.

I also felt that the core self-evaluation assessment was right where I thought it would be.  If you can’t be honest with yourself and how you are feeling or thinking you will have a tendency to not be honest with others whether they are your family, friends or coworkers.  This can affect how you are as a leader as well.  How effective can I be if I am not honest?  Will my followers trust me if they know I am not honest with myself?

What were the surprises?
I was a bit surprised by the results on the self-awareness section of the assessment.  I thought I would have scored higher in this area but again by answering honestly I know that I need to work in certain areas.  For example, I know that I need to work on not taking it personally or getting defensive when I receive negative feedback.  I need to take in what is being said and analyze it and figure out a better approach to changing my outcome.

How will you make use of this information?
The best approach would be to see where I am weak and make a plan to improve in those areas by analyzing how I can make a difference in my work and life.  I feel that understanding how I think now and how I can make it better will be a good first step to becoming a better leader and person.

No comments:

Post a Comment