Thursday, May 3, 2012

A520.7.3 Importance of Having a Coach and Mentor


In this week’s readings we have learned all about being a coach and a mentor and the differences of each one.  Being a leadership coach means working with a person within your organization who can coach you on how to be a more effective leader by communicating better, making objective decisions and influencing others in a certain time frame which in turn the person can use in their job as a leader.  On the other side you have leadership mentoring which can happen anywhere any time either professionally or personally.  We are being mentored or are doing the mentoring to some degree in our lives with our kids, in the work place, or with our significant others.

In my discussion I talked about my director being my mentor and how he doesn’t even realize he is doing it.  I watch how he interacts with others, be it his boss, his subordinates, or other coworkers within the organization.  His easy going personality and honesty make him someone to observe.  I try to put myself in his shoes and think of how he would react to a situation. I have asked him before how he does it.  How does he remain calm?  How does he approach a difficult situation?  Did his upbringing have anything to do with the type of person he is today?

He said first and foremost he steps back and looks at it from their side…what are they thinking?  How are they feeling about what the situation is (I have adapted this approach as well)? He also said that he observed his brother and father growing up and saw how they interacted with many different people and wanted to be like that.  This to me shows that when you see people following the “golden rule” it instills that belief in you as well.  When he speaks to you he is not talking down to you he is sincerely interested in what you have to say and what your thoughts are on a topic.  I know that I can ask him anything be it a question on financial aid or what the best plasma TV is to buy to even how to make a better personal budget for myself. 

He doesn’t give you the answer, he wants you to think about it and come to your own conclusion and if it is wrong he will guide you in the right direction without giving you the answer.  The reason is by giving me the answer I will not learn but if I think about it and figure out how to solve the problem I am now being empowered to understand and increase my learning.  This is like the saying “you can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day but if you teach him how to fish he will eat for a lifetime”.

This leads to me to how I am a mentor.  I don’t realize (or didn’t until now) that the teachings I am instilling in my daughter how to be a better person (be kind, helpful, sincere, polite, studious) are aspects of mentoring.  My goal is to get her to think critically about life and how it works.  That there is a reason for everything no matter how big or small it may be.  For example, she was grumpy one evening and didn’t want to do her homework and complained about how unfair life was and how hard it was.  So I thought how do I make her understand how easy she has it?  I told her to close her eyes.  She asked why but of course I asked that she just bear with me she would find out soon enough.  I then asked her to tell me what she saw.  She said only darkness.  I said now imagine that is all you can see, that is all you know.  You can’t see the sky, or colors or anything else other than that darkness.  She said that she wouldn’t like that very much.  Then I asked her to try to reach for her bottle of water with her eyes still closed.  She did try but was way off and said as much.

Then I asked her if she still felt that life was unfair and too hard to deal with.  She said no that she was very lucky to be able to see when many others cannot.  Instead of just ignoring her whining and letting her complain I wanted her to understand that things we may find easy or that we take for granted are things that others don't.  Like my director does for me by making me think I did for her by making her think about her own statements. 
I feel that you can learn many things from the people around you (hopefully only the good things) and if there is someone who you feel can help you become a better person, leader, etc. that you have to take the opportunity to observe and ask questions of this person to sit down with them face to face or chat with them via email or webcam.  The learning experience will well be worth it and you will become a better person and a better more effective leader for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment