Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A633.1.2.RB - Leadership Gap


There are three great questions in the beginning of chapter one A Journey of Discovery that would be a great way for anyone who is interested in leadership to be able to ponder over and reflect upon.  The first one asks Has your own attitude to leaders changed in your life, and if so how?  I had to really think about this because I have held a few jobs in my life and have had many types of managers and leaders with very different styles of leading.  To answer this question I would have to say yes my attitude has changed in regards to leaders.  I have seen many styles, some good, some bad and some that left me scratching my head wondering what the heck they were thinking.

Having been through a few courses now in leadership development I can say that I have more of a firm grasp on how to be a more effective leader and reflecting on the ways of past managers and bosses I can see that some of them really got it but sadly most did not.  I look around at the different departments and the styles of leading are very different from department to department.  Some tend to micromanage where others are very relaxed and still others are able to have a good balance.  I think a big reason I feel that my attitude has changed is that I have grown as a person and I believe I have a better understanding of what makes a great leader and it is not by intimation and fear, or making unrealistic demands it is about communication on both sides and being able to give and take.  You have to be able to adapt and grow.  This leads to the second question.

If we take as a starting point in the attitude to those in authority/leaders as held by your grandparents, and then look at those attitudes held by your parents, and then by you, and then by the younger generation, is there a changing trend?  If so, what is it? My grandfather came over from Italy as a teenager for a better life.  He was a young man during the great depression and managed to own his own business as a tailor in CT.  From the stories I have been told his management style was to lead with an iron fist.  You did what you were told and you didn’t question anything.  His employees and family were both ruled this way, you didn’t ask questions and you followed out of fear. For his generation you just did as you were told there were no questioning things.  For my parents’ generation it was different because there were many changes with civil rights and more and more women joining the work force.  Leadership was more about power and more women were emerging as managers.

Women had to prove themselves as managers that they could be just as firm and hardcore as their counterparts.  My mom had several female managers who were very strict and demanding of their employees.  It was a do as I say kind and don’t question me kind of attitude.  When I joined the workforce at 15 I was completely naïve to how things worked and if my boss said to clean the bathroom I didn’t question it I did because I was taught that you didn’t talk back when someone told you to do something you just did it no questions asked.  As I grew and changed jobs I realized that it was ok to ask questions and to challenge things if I felt that they weren’t right.  I quit a few jobs because I didn’t believe in what the company was doing or selling.  For example, I worked for a company that sold women’s bathing suits and the gimmick of this place was that all the employees wore the suits we sold in the store.  This way when a customer came in they would see the suit on and want to purchase one. 

My first day of working was fun and the lights were really bright so it was warm in the store.  At the end of the shift we changed back into our clothes, had our purses searched to make sure we weren’t stealing and told to hang our suits back up on the racks.  I immediately questioned this practice and was told ‘that is the way we do business’.  I didn’t feel it was right to do business this way and when the manager said she didn’t see a problem with it I knew I couldn’t stay there and work for that company.  Watching the younger generation interact with managers I am surprised by it.  There seems to be no authority, trust and respect on either side.  It seems to be lacking that special something that sparks people to want to follow their manager. 

This now takes me to the last question Why do you think that this has occurred?  From looking at each generation there seems to be a change in the sense that leaders aren’t as tough and ruling with an iron fist but they also don’t seem to have found a good footing on how to be better leaders either.  Perhaps this is because there has not been a standard way of teaching or lack of teaching people how to be good managers and leaders.  There are more and more books and classes on how to become an effective leader which is great however if we as future leaders cannot learn to understand ourselves and how we lead and how to be able to adapt to change we will not make any progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment