Saturday, October 12, 2013

A630.9.4.RB - Hiring and Recruiting

In the video Schmidt talks about how important it is to develop the culture of your company and I think he is so right about this!  Proof of this is Google which has a great culture within their company and it shows in all the great things that they have created.  He talked about having passion and drive to do what you love to do.  When you walk into any kind of business you can see right away the people who are happy to be a part of that company and the ones who are only there to collect a pay check.  Throughout this course we have talked about culture and the importance of having it and Schmidt explains this when he talks about Google.
He mentions how time has been spent on passion, academic qualifications, commitment and intellectual flexibility and I agree that these are very important to the culture of a company. I will say that while I understand the academic qualifications, sometimes a book cannot teach us what happens in the real world so if that is the only thing that keeps a person from being hired and they have all the other aspects, they should be hired because you can mold them and teach them so much more than they could learn from a book.
When I first started at ERAU Worldwide I had no financial aid experience but I had everything else (drive, passion, and academic qualifications) so my old director took a chance on me and 5 years later I am a manager and I have learned so much more than I ever thought I would but there is so much more to learn as well and this is the drive and passion I have with my job.  I want to learn and grow and I feel that is something that is vital to the culture of any company.  People who want to learn to explore what their organization can give them and how far it can take them.  I continue to ask questions  as well as go to conferences and absorb everything I can not only on the regulations but how it affects our students and our counselors.
One of the things Schmidt mentioned that stuck out for me was hiring people who are compatible with other people.  I know from personal experiences when sitting in on the interview process we look for the type of people who will fit in with our department.  Are they outgoing?  Do they take criticism well?  Are they drama free?  We have many different types of personalities and if we drop in a person who creates friction and drama it would upset the balance we have. 
Now our department is not perfect but we do work well together and anyone who comes in has to be able to fit in and deal with the idiosyncrasies (people who hum and talk to themselves, people who like to keep to themselves for the most part, people who are very outspoken, etc.).   When we interview potential employees we will bring in the other counselors and let them ask questions.  I like to watch the nonverbal ques between the interviewee and the counselors to see how they interact.  This way I can see if there is potential for friction within our group.  It is wise to choose the right person who will add to the department not cause problems.
As a leader we may not always be able to make everyone happy and we must be aware of how our employees are feeling and truly listen to their concerns.  Making sure everyone works together is vital to the success of interpersonal relationships and as well as how your team works together.  If you have a great team who can get their work done and done well, jump in and help their coworkers and work through problems without having to go to the boss, there not much management needed because they are already doing it.  You are there to guide and encourage and challenge them to the next level.  For me a great leader is one who wants you to succeed and move to the next level whether it is in that department or somewhere else in the organization.
One point that Schmidt made that I thought was interesting was about discord at meetings.  I think it would be interesting but I feel that it could backfire if not done carefully.  If you are trying to get your employees to speak up at meetings especially if they are quiet or concerned about an issue they may not want to speak up at a meeting for fear of looking dumb or that they should already know the answer.  Maybe a round table where everyone can throw out their ideas so it can be bounced off of the group because this can bring out the best in the group.

 No this won’t always work but I think if you make everyone understand how it will help them grow and learn it is a step in the right direction.  I can definitely apply these things in my job now and feel that having a clear idea of what kind of culture you want in your organization is important not only in how you do this but how you support it.  We have a retreat coming up and I want to bring up to my director that we need to get everyone’s input on what they think the culture of our department is and how we can improve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment