Saturday, January 28, 2012

MSLD Activity 3.4 Explore the Hunt Library

As you explore the Hunt Library, reflect on how you might use the Library as a resource for your studies.

How is the scholarly information you found in the library different from the typical information you find when you Google a leadership concept?

The immediate difference I found using the Hunt library over Google is that I can streamline what it is I am searching for with the library.  For example, when I type in Education in the database search for the library it pulls up six different search engines for me to explore.  I can choose to look for books articles, periodicals, journals, books and full texts.

Google does work well when I want to do a general search or when I am looking for an overall topic.  For example, I can type in organizational leadership in the search bar and it will pull up organizational leadership, organizational leadership jobs, degree, and definition.  Once I pick which one I want I then have to click on each hyper link to see if it is what I am looking for.  It can vary from a question that is being answered about my request to an advertisement for a college or university.

With the library search I can read an abstract of the article, get a citation for the article, get references and even get full texts on most articles.  The other great thing about using the Hunt library is that I can email the article to myself, print it, export it save it to my searches and cite here as well.

Both search engines have their advantages and disadvantages but for me I would choose the library over Google for my research especially if I am doing extensive research.  

No comments:

Post a Comment