Sunday, May 12, 2013

A633.7.3.RB - Leader Follower Relationship


After taking the quiz in chapter 10 I have to say I am not surprised with my results as I scored the highest in Style 3 (consulting) with a total score of 10 and second in Style 4 (Delegating) with 7 points.  I only score 1 in each for style 1 and style 2.  If I had taken this quiz a few years ago it may have turned out much differently (higher scores in S1 and S2) as I feel that I have learned a lot from having good leaders in place to challenge and motivate me to be a better leader.  I am right between the participative/facilitator and empowering/hands-off type of leadership.  I believe that as I continue this program as well learning in my job I will become more of the S4 leadership style.
I know my thinking has definitely changed over the last 6 weeks as I have learned more about my leadership style and that how I used to think based on watching my former bosses is not really the best way to go about being a great leader.  I know that I am a good leader and I can motivate people easy enough but I still find that I want to hold on just  little bit.  I think it is a fear of someone else failing than me failing.  I feel that I will let them down in some way that maybe I didn’t teach them well enough that it would be my fault that they failed.
I know that this is not true and that is something I will continue to work on to break that cycle of thinking.  I definitely consult with my followers on some of the processes that I have to implement and in some cases I have to be the lead I cannot let those areas go as it is ultimately my job to be sure the regulations are followed.  However I do empower my followers in the sense that they can get the work done the way they feel is best for them as long as the elements are there they have the power to make the final decision when it comes to verifications.
 They are the ones to review all documents turned in and complete the process based on all the current information.  I am trying to get them to not question their decisions so much and be confident enough in themselves.  When they ask me to review verifications with them I ask them what they think rather than tell them they are right or wrong.  If they ask if I think certain elements should stay in or come out I say “what do you think and why”.  This gets them thinking and 9 times out of 10 they are right they just needed that extra push from me.
There is a process called professional judgment (PJ) where we look at the current situation of the student and adjust their current income versus what it was when they field their taxes if they lost their job.  This is something that right now only I do but my new director asked if I thought that the counselors could handle doing this on their own instead of it coming to me.  At first I said no they couldn’t do it alone (participative/facilitator) but the more I thought about it the more I realized that they should be able to do these PJs.  The fear was that maybe they would not gather all the correct information or they would rush the process (it takes about a month to do one) but if I want to be more in style 4 (empowerment/hands-off) I needs to let go of this.  They will fail I know I did on a few but it is how we learn and I know that once they do a few with me they will get it and go from there.
              I know that I will continue to grow and learn and long after this program is over I will be implementing what I have learned in many aspects of my life both professional and personal.  I like that when I am talking to someone I start talking about something dealing with leadership and I realize that it is actually sinking in.  I want to become the type of leader that people have confidence and trust in.  The type that will jump in to help when needed but step back and see how things play out.  I want to be a motivator and a mentor.  This part I think I do already it is just a better of sharpening my skills.  This has been my favorite course far other than the critical thinking class.

No comments:

Post a Comment