Thursday, May 23, 2013

A633.9.3.RB Polyarchy Reflections


As we have learned over the last 9 weeks and in previous courses, traditional leadership is becoming outdated and relies heavily on top down styles.  This doesn’t do too much for motivating followers since it doesn’t leave too much room for creativity, innovation or ideas because it is pushed down from the top instead of flowing up from the bottom.   More and more leaders are starting to embrace change in how they lead and how they understand their followers. 
A way to do this is through the ‘wu wei’ concept (art of inaction and waiting until the right time to take action).  So does this mean that traditional leadership should completely disappear?  Perhaps it should be looked at and the good parts pulled out and changed up a bit to be more in line with polyarchy styles.  More organizations need to become more bottom up and the way to do this is through change, coaching, motivation and innovation. 
Change is something that I do and will continue to embrace in order to become a better leader.  I will need to always be ready and willing to reflect on who I am as a leader and what I can do for my followers. The biggest impact for me will be to know when to step back and observe my surroundings without wanting to jump in and try to take the lead.  Knowing when to lead and when to follow is another factor on how it will affect me as a leader in the future.  Once I understand that being a great leader means stepping back and letting others figure it out and become inspired by this I will have moved up to the next level of leadership.
As a leader I will make a more conscious effort to understand and learn about my followers by challenging them and coaching them to go to the next level.  The goal would be to get my followers to level 5 and keep them there.  Communication is so very important to any role inside and out of the organizational structure.  I understand that I must be willing to be a leader and a follower.  I will be sure to align my vision with those of my followers while allowing for ideas and creativity. 
The impact this will have on my future strategy is going to be a positive, challenging and rewarding one.  I will never know everything there is to know and I will not be afraid to admit that but I will be sure to find the answers.  Coaching will help with this.  To coach and be coached will help me learn and grow in my leadership abilities and skills.  I am confident that as I continue through this program I will learn more ways to be a great leader.  I have the skills and the desire to be the best and my followers will have my trust and faith as well.
The biggest thing for me is going to be to focus on the strengths of my followers and helping them to embrace change by facing it up front and not being afraid to take a chance.  Collaboration and team work is going to be a big focus for me as well as promoting individual growth from each follower.  I am excited for what the future brings for me and I know I will be able to use everything I have learned in this class and this program to be the type of leader that takes my team to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment