Thursday, June 13, 2013

A634.2.4.RB - Theories of Ethics

Last week we were given the scenario of children trapped on the railroad tracks and we were only three choices;  switch the tracks to kill one child to save five, switch the tracks to kill five to save one (who happens to be our child) or to kill an elderly gentleman by pushing them onto the tracks which will stop the train and save six children but kill the man.  This is a good example of Consequentialism.  Think of such sayings as “the Ends Justify the Means” and “Harming One to Save Many”.  There is a certain justification in this that you are still being ethical in your decision and you are doing so for the greater good.  According to the text consequentialists must do three things:
·         Which consequences we should count
·         How much weight or consideration to give them
·         How we should use these considerations  when reflecting on them
So what does this mean?  Looking at the situation I can decide if the consequences are relevant (does this affect me directly?).  How much weight should I give to this decision and will it depend on how much the consequences will affect me?  When I am considering this how should I make my decision based on all the information I have?  Using the train example there are different consequences for each act I may take.  If I do nothing five children will die but my child will be safe.  If I flip the switch to save the five I kill my child.  Can I live with that fact?  What if I can’t have any more kids does that make a difference in my decision? If I push the old man I save all the kids but I am purposely taking another person’s life to save the children but I am harming one to save many.
Consequentialists have to decide which consequences are significant and which are not.  Does my choice maximize my happiness?  Should I choose the one that will bring me the most happiness with the consequences.  All of these have to be taken into consideration to make a valid and moral decision, if it is not significant than my action is to do nothing as it won’t have enough of an impact either way.  With consequentialism there can be a certain justification for my actions (killing an old man to save five children) which I would feel are morally sound.
Now we turn to Deontology.  This theory is more of a set of rules that must be followed that starts when we are children; “Don’t slam the door”, “Don’t hit your cousin”, “Don’t lie”.  As we grow and mature these rules with change to accommodate who we are as adults; “Don’t cheat on your spouse”, “Don’t steal from the company”.  We look at these rules as a compass on what our moral values are.  It is more about our rights and obligations in regards to ethics. 
This theory is more based on what you are doing not so much in the consequences of those actions.  So you should not lie, steal, kill regardless of what those consequences would be.  In the train example because it is wrong to kill even though you would be saving more lives than killing you are not supposed to kill so you do nothing or your save your child without regard to the others because you are duty-bound to the safety of your child.  What if your friends ex-boyfriend showed up at your house demanding to know where your friend was and you know that if you tell him the truth he will kill her but lying is wrong isn’t it?  So would it be wrong to lie in order to save your friends life?  If we followed the absolute rules than yes it would be wrong because lying is wrong.

We know that we are not perfect and there will be times when going against what you feel is morally right produces a better outcome (you save your child’s life, your friend isn’t murdered by her insane ex-boyfriend).  There has to be some give and take and understanding that there will be areas of grey it will not always be absolute in every case.  We must also keep in mind that that there is nothing wrong with deciding what the consequences will be while keeping in mind that sometimes doing the wrong thing may end up being the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment