Thursday, July 11, 2013

A634.6.3.RB - What are Virtues?

I took the Virtue Quiz and scored pretty well overall.  There were two areas that were suggested that I could improve on and that was temperance and order.  I am a firm believer of self-improvement as I believe we can always make ourselves better individuals and this will reflect on those around me as well.  The three virtues that stuck out the most for me were temperance, order and resolution.
Temperance: Eat not to dullness.  Drink not to elevation. This has been something that I have been trying to make a big change in for the last 6 months and it takes constant awareness and will power to do.  I love food!  I love to make it, I love it eat it and I love to buy it.  Growing up I didn’t have the luxury of being able to have filet migon for dinner or making fresh salad or even fresh fruit every day. We also didn’t get a lot of food either so we were always grateful for what we did get.  Second helpings were the rare occasion not something that would happen all the time.  
As an adult I have the opportunity to buy the things I like because one I can afford it and two I get to make the things that involve fresh ingredients.  The issue I have run into is stopping myself from getting second or third helpings of the things I like.  When I was in high school I could eat so much and not gain any weight because I was on a dance troupe and took several classes so I burned off everything that I ate.  Now that I am older and not nearly as active as I used to be taking all those extra helpings is not such a great idea.
Besides making sure that I don’t over eat it is important that I teach my daughter that you should only take what you need and not overindulge just because it is there and it tastes good.  We have a rule where we have to wait 15 minutes after we eat to see if we really are still hungry and 9 times out of 10 we aren’t!  This also teaches patience and understanding the difference between what we want and what we need.
Order:  Let all your things have their places.  Let each part of your business have its time.  This is a big one for me.  First let’s tackle everything having its place.  This is something that I am working to be better at though it has been something I have dealt with my whole life.  Growing up nothing could ever be out of place.  You took it out you put it back not in a little while, not the next day but as soon as you were done with it. So when I became an adult I developed a sort of disorganized organization.  My desk may look like a hurricane came through but I know exactly where everything is.  This however is not something I like.  I prefer to have everything in its place as it represents a cleaner, orderly environment.  I realize that when I have everything in its place I am more relaxed and calm I don’t feel overwhelmed or confused.
The second part let your business have its time.  This too is something I have to make an effort to do.  I talk about work when I am not at work, or other things that should have a time limit to talk about.  This causes my brain to continue to think about things long after I should.  For example, I had a coworker continue to question me about a process after I explained it several times that I began to dream about it and start to doubt myself and my abilities.  I have to know when to leave it at the door.  When it is time to think about other things I do not want to have to worry about these lingering ideas.  I have taken to writing things down so that I can cross them off my list and that means when it is off the list I cannot think about it unless it goes back on the list.
            Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought.  Perform without fail what you resolve.  Now this one is one that I am working so very hard to do.  I started working out about 4 months ago and I have kept at it with the exception of two weeks that I took off.  I feel that when I set a goal for myself and I follow through on it I did something for me.  I started grad school back in 2010, took one class loved it signed up for more and realized it was not what I was interested in. Then the MSLD came along and I am taking my 9th class toward my masters.  If you had asked me a couple of years ago if I would have ever thought I would be here I would have said no way.  I didn’t think I was smart enough or driven enough to do it.  Yet here I am proving myself wrong.

            I have always wanted to write and a part of that is because of my love for reading.  Back in 2003 I finally started writing a little bit at a time and 145 pages later I have most of a book written.  I stopped a few years ago because I felt that what I wrote would not be interesting to anyone but me.  Then last year I wrote about an incident that happened to me over the summer and I was told that I should be writing for others to read so I started a blog.  I never dreamed that it would have followers and that they would want more and more each time!  My next resolution or my next step in this resolution is to get published.  I have come this far, done so much more than I ever thought I could so what is stopping me?  Only I am so here I am writing it for you and everyone to see that I will get published by next year.  That is my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment