Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A520.3.1.RB Decision Making


What are a few words that describe your decision-making style?
Fair, honest, thorough, straightforward

What are the opposites of the words you chose?
Biased, dishonest, careless, devious

Could you see any benefits to making decisions using an approach that is based on either the opposites or somewhere in-between and what outcomes would you expect to see?
To be honest I don’t see how anyone could or would want to make decisions based on being biased, dishonest, careless or devious.  When you are tasked with making the decisions it is an unwritten rule (at least in my eyes) that you will make the decision based on gathering all the facts and being thorough and fair in your decision.  I try to put myself in the other person’s place.  How would I want the decision to be made?  Would I want someone to be insincere or timid in their outcome as it relates to me?

If you are biased in your decision making you are not being fair to everyone involved and this can cause more issues down the road if you don’t take the time to do a thorough and honest job of it from the start.  It can cause animosity among coworkers that can lead to even bigger problems.  Your followers may lose trust and faith in your ability to make clear and fair decisions. 

To make any kind of decision I look at it from all angles and try to turn it around and look at it from the other side to try to understand what the other person is thinking and where they are coming from.  I then explain the outcome of my decision so that everyone is clear about it.

I use this in my personal life as well.  When my daughter wants to do something or go somewhere I will think through all the angles weighing the pros and cons.  If the outcome it is not the response she was hoping for I explain why I made the decision I made and that there is a good reason for it.  Once I do this she understands and though she may not get what she wants she is satisfied that I though it through and that I am fair about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment