Monday, April 23, 2012

A520.5.3 Forrestor’s Empowerment



Empowerment is a term that has been thrown around since the 80s and has seemed to evolve and transform into something that has for a lack of a better word “power”.  For me, empowerment means having the ability to make a decision based on my knowledge and desire to accomplish a goal set forth by my supervisor.  There has to be trust and confidence that I can do my job and do it well for the overall good of the organization and not for my own personal gain (this is power not empowerment). 

The article, “Empowerment: Rejuvenating a potent idea”, gives examples of companies that tried the “one size fits all” empowerment as well as using a piece-meal approach that didn’t work.  They talked about different levels of involvement such as suggestion involvement, capacity to offer ideas, job involvement, permission to determine the methods of one’s own job, high involvement and having influence on decisions beyond one’s own job that affect the business at large.  I felt that these are great concepts that can be implemented in the work place.  They are similar to the dimensions of empowerment in the chapter that include self-efficacy, self-determination, personal consequence, meaning and trust.

The basis of the levels of involvement from the article and the dimensions of empowerment are the same:

  •     there is a feeling of competence and involvement that what you are doing will mean something
  •          there is good judgment in having an impact and ability to offer ideas and suggestions
  •          there is awareness that you will have an impact on decisions that will be made that go beyond your own job
  •          there is appreciation of security and personal choice to be able to decide the methods of your job


I know that if I have all these elements present I can feel empowered in my job and know that what I am doing is having a positive impact on my department and organization as a whole.  Right now with the changes in regulations and processes for verification I feel empowered and when I have people who have been doing this much longer than I have coming to me for guidance it is a great feeling and shows that they have trust in my abilities.

A big part in being able to empower another is that you have can let go of some of your power and the need for control.  The article talks about control needs and how in the process of empowerment the need for control is pronounced.   It is in our nature to want to control the things within our power.  Those who are not empowering others feel the need to be in control of every aspect of the job.  That if there is not very clear and concise direction as well as tight control, unruliness will ensue. 

Empowerment can work but only if you are given the proper tools and information to succeed.  Using piecemeal actions like the article talks about instead of providing information as the chapter suggests you will have failure and frustration.  I need to know that I have all the information to make informed decisions and carry out the project as needed.  It will help me to stay motivated and strive for success in what I am doing.  This will carry over to the other subordinates as well as they will see my determination and will also want to accomplish the common goal.

An important aspect article talks about is self-efficacy.  When I feel that I have the skills, knowledge and feel capable of performing the task at hand it will not only show in my work but also in how I act.  I will feel confident and want to motivate others to this level as well.  The article mentions encompassing employees to make decisions that will help commit them to the organization and I feel this falls under the personal consequences section of the chapter.  When you know that you are contributing and your efforts can have a positive influence on the organization it gives you a sense of pride.  You have active control and impact on their environment.

Another aspect that the article covers is being able to provide employees opportunity and access to develop relationships with clients and upper management within the organization.  The chapter refers to this as meaning.  When you believe in what you do and care about what your standards will produce it gives you meaning and purpose.

After reading the chapter on empowerment and reviewing the article I feel that I have a better understanding of what it takes to empower others and be empowered.  It is important to recognize the inhibitors to empowerment such as attitudes about subordinates, personal insecurities and need for control.

No comments:

Post a Comment