Sunday, November 4, 2012

A521.3.4.RB Personal Reflection


Everyone has a story about something that changed who they are as a person either for the better or worse.  I have two stories that have had a formative impact on who I am today and how I relate to others in my personal and professional life.  I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason and it is up to the individual person to find the positive in something that perhaps doesn’t have the outcome we wanted.
          My mom and step father went through a pretty ugly divorce in 1982 when I was around 12 years old.  My mom was dependent on my step father for many things, one being financial as he made more money than she did.  He also worked as a police officer so there was usually someone home to look after my brother, sister and myself.  When he left, he took the car, the TV, and many other household items that were necessary for us to live on.  This was done while we were visiting family in CT so when we came home to an almost empty house it was a big shock for us but especially for my mother. 
          My step father took it a step further and kidnapped my sister with the help other police officers and his family members.  He walked right into our house and picked up my sister (she was only 4 at the time) and used the lights as his signal that he had her and walked out the door with her while my mom tried in vain to keep him from taking her.  She got behind his car to try and stop him and was told by another cop that if she didn’t move out of the way he would arrest her. 
          We stood there as he drove off with my sister having no idea where he was taking her or if we would ever see her again.  Seeing the grief on my mom’s face is something I will never forget.  Soon after this she lost her job because she just couldn’t function and had no transportation. I had to become an adult at 12 years old.  I did everything I could to make sure that she ate so that she could keep up her strength while making sure that my brother and I still got to school and did what was needed including grocery shopping, homework, laundry, cooking, etc.
          After the initial disbelief that this could happen to us she pulled herself together and with the help of friends and family was able to get car and a new job.   She had to learn to do many things that she had always relied on someone else to do.  If there was a problem with the car, she figured out how to fix it.  She had to learn to become an independent person.  After a few months my step dad called my mom and told her he would bring back my sister.
          After this whole situation was over I saw my mom as a completely different person.  She was no longer dependent on anyone but she was also less trusting of people as well.  Watching my mom go through everything that she did and how it made her a stronger person whereas others would have given up has made me a big part of who I am today.  I know that I can’t let anything stop me from being the best that I can be.  That there are many people who are willing to help and will be there when the going gets tough.  The saying “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” is something that I keep in my mind because of what we went through.
          From this experience I have learned that it is important to reach out for help when you need it and that though it is okay to depend on others it is also essential to know how to learn and adapt to new things (whether it is a new software program or new regulations).  It took me well into adulthood to understand this but it is something I carry with me every day as a reminder of how strong I am.
          In 1985, I was a sophomore in high school (around 15 years old) and I was a lost soul.  I hated school and swore that when I turned 16 I was dropping out.  I hated everyone and everything and no one could seem to get through to me.  Actually after a while everyone stopped trying to get through to me.  They said it wouldn’t matter and that I wasn’t going to amount to much anyway so why try? 
          My English teacher was a wise woman named Mrs. Meisch.  She had been a teacher for 20 years so she had pretty much seen it all.  She observed me for a few months before she tried to approach me one day during lunch.  Instead of lecturing me or putting me down she asked me how I was doing.  I didn’t even know how to respond to this.  Someone was talking to me and not at me for once.  She pushed my bangs out of my eyes so that she could see my face and she just talked to me.  She asked me about my life, my family, my friends, and why I was feeling that way I was.  No one else had done this. 
          She told me that I was the only person who could change me and that it didn’t matter what anyone else thought about me it only mattered what I thought about myself.  She found out that I had a love for dance and told me about auditions there at school for a dance troupe.  Her encouragement and positive outlook forced me to stop feeling sorry for myself and to do something about it.  I auditioned and made the dance troupe.  It was because of her that my outlook on school and life changed.  I stopped making myself the victim of my circumstances and did something about it.  This today is a big reason why I strive to be the best I can be.  I don’t let failures stop me from learning and growing.  I am not afraid of disappointing anyone else because I know I am giving my best and that is all anyone can ask for.  I maintain a positive outlook on everything as well.
          These two situations have had such a big impact on my life.  No one can change who you are only you can do that and only if you want to truly change for the better.  I had had many things shape who I am today, some good and some bad but throughout it all I have come out of it with a better understanding of who I am as a person and I learn, grow and adapt from them.  This has helped me become a better listener, problem solver, show compassion for others and a great team player in my organization.  

No comments:

Post a Comment